For organizations that need to improve the performance of file servers, the typical response is to overbuy and overprovision for performance from a new hardware standpoint. While led to believe this solves the problem, it merely serves no better than a temporary band-aid solution.
Root cause performance issues for I/O intensive file servers can be traced back to I/O inefficiencies from excessively small writes and reads that chew up system performance and is akin to pouring molasses on even the most powerful systems since a majority of the I/O traffic is much smaller than it needs to be.
This “death by a thousand cuts” scenario inflates IOPS, robs throughput, and shortens the lifespan of HDDs and SSDs alike.
For virtual environments, this is a problem on steroids as the I/O streams from disparate virtual machines (VMs) are mixed together and randomized via the “I/O blender” effect before sending out to storage a very random and difficult profile to process.
Because this inefficiency wastes system resources at its most basic production level, the file, and because of the sheer scale of read/write operations on even a small corporate server, I/O bottlenecks build up fast and create slows on all Windows servers.
How should I optimize my File Server performance?
Condusiv solutions address root cause performance issues at the point of origin where I/O is created by ensuring large, clean contiguous writes from Windows to eliminate the “death by a thousand cuts” scenario of many small writes and reads that chew up performance. Condusiv solutions electrify the performance of file servers even further with the addition of DRAM caching – using idle DRAM to serve hot reads without creating an issue of memory contention or resource starvation. Condusiv’s “Set It and Forget It” software optimizes both writes and reads and guarantees to solve your toughest application performance challenges or your money back for 90 days – no questions asked.
Here are published customer examples and quotes:
- Myron Corporation cut processing times of artwork on their file servers from 5 minutes to 1 minute
- Christus Health doubled its electronic health record performance and avoided a $2 million storage upgrade
- Bell Mobility saw 3X faster SQL queries
- Stockport College cut student enrollment processing times from 15 minutes to 5 minutes
- ASL Marketing’s SQL batch job dropped from 27 hours to 12 hours
- Supreme Lending saw page load times on their in-house lending software drop from 5 seconds to 1 second
- “Our throughput doubled, so we could backup in half the time!” – Curtis Jackson, Network Admin, School City of Hammond
- “Condusiv served over 50% of my reads from DRAM and eliminated over 30% of write traffic. Now everything is more responsive!” – David Bruce, Managing Partner, David Bruce & Associates
- “Our ERP with a SQL database saw an immediate 50% boost!” – Hamid Bouhassoune, Systems Engineer, Global Skincare Company
- “We were amazed by the performance boost of our most I/O intensive applications!” – Victor Grandmaiter, IT Director, Fort Bend Central Appraisal District
Condusiv solutions for virtual servers »
Finding The Right Solution
We provide solutions for over 90% of fortune 500 companies and are dedicated to finding the right solution for your company, too.
What People are Saying
What People are Saying
“Typically, IT professionals respond to application performance issues by reactively buying more hardware. Without the luxury of a padded budget, we needed to find a way to improve performance on the hardware infrastructure we already have. It saved us from having to make a heavy investment in SSDs or do a complete rip and replace of our entire hardware infrastructure. To this day, I still can’t believe software is doing this.”
R. Ortiz, IT Manager, ASL Marketing
“I have used Diskeeper since it was first introduced. It has always worked well in keeping my drive defragged for the fastest response times for all of my apps. Thank you again for this fine piece of software.”
Philip Baldwin, NVQB
“The Undelete software that we use on all our Regional Servers is undoubtedly worth every penny. It
has saved our Techs numerous hours in restoring files inadvertently deleted as opposed to having to
restore from backup tape.”
Michael Lucas, Gancom (Division of Gannet Fleming)
“Undelete saves backup restores when someone accidentally deletes a file from a Windows share. We store tapes off site so Undelete can save a big delay for file restores of that type. Undelete does what it says on the box – really – and it works nicely as a network recycle bin.”
Glenn Edwards, Infrastructure Analyst, Itron
“I have been using Diskeeper for many years, it is installed as a routine on all servers, networked clients, SHO and any other computer. It has never presented any problem and has always demonstrated improved drive performance in both servers and clients. With each new release Condusiv does not merely provide “window dressing”, they actually improve the product with the objective of making it easier to use, more reliable, more effective and easier to use.”
Mark Sills, Systems Administrator / Manager, Home User